Image Map
Image Map

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Paula Deen's Lean: Summer Squash Tart with Cornmeal Crust

There are a lot of reasons why I love the summer. Yes, I have the summer off like I did as a child; one of the wonderful perks to teaching. Yes, the weather is just to my liking. But there is one more super summer treat which I am thankful for and that is the amount of fresh produce brought to my door.
This is not something I signed up for, yet something I have been blessed with. My friends, neighbors and family like to garden...and I cook. See where I am going here? They know if they have an extra amount of squash, zucchini or any other garden produce, I will gladly take it off their hands.
This recipe is a fabulous way to use fresh squash and zucchini! It is simple, delicious and you guessed it, healthy too.

SUMMER SQUASH TART WITH CORNMEAL CORNBREAD CRUST
Makes 8 to 10 servings


INGREDIENTS:

Crust~
1 (7.5-ounce) package cornbread mix
2/3 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon dried dill

Squash Filling~

1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
2 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 2 medium)
2 cups thinly sliced yellow squash (about 2 medium)
1 cup yellow onion; chopped
1 cup shredded REDUCED FAT Swiss cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare cornbread mix according to directions and place in a 11 x 8 -inch baking pan. Bake for roughly 15 minutes (or according to package instructions).

To prepare the filling, melt butter and warm EVOO over medium heat in a large skillet. Add zucchini, squash and onion; saute for 7 to 8 minuts or until squash is tender. Remove squash and drain on several paper towels for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, stir together cheese, egg, salt, dill and pepper. Add squash and gently stir. Spoon squash filling evenly over prepared crust (cornbread). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into squares to serve.

RESULTS:

This recipe is perfect for summer squash and zucchini. There is so much more to do with these veggies than just baking, dipping and frying. This is a great example of the versitility of squash and zucchini.


Now, about this recipe. I really cut down on the complexity of it by simply using a cornbread mix. The original recipe has you making your own crust using flour, butter, cornmeal and there is something in there about ice water. Whatever! Sounds like a great opportunity for a short cut! It cuts down on time, fat and frustration by using cornbread mix. I know you like the sound of that.

My in-law's, who so generously gifted these great veggies, were thrilled with the outcome and I just know your family will be too. It makes a great dish that can be enjoyed as a side or even as a mid-afternoon snack. Just 30 seconds in the microwave and it's snack time. YUM!




~ The original recipe is taken from Paula Deen's Best Dishes 2010-Special Issue; page 49. Huffman Media, LLC

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. Thank you for the healthy yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails