FRENCH~STYLE TUNA MELTS
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can chunk white tuna in water
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 6 slices of tomato (1 large or 2 medium tomatoes)
- 3 slices Sargento REDUCED FAT Provolone Cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place 6 slices of tomato on a baking sheet and lightly salt and pepper.
Divide the tuna mixture between the 6 slices of tomato and top with cheese; 1/2 slice each.
Toast in oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tuna heated through.
To save calories, I opted for tomato slices instead of thick brioche bread. This cut calories and carbs, plus adds vitamins for a nutritional boost. Since the tomato slices are smaller than bread slices, it takes 6 slices of tomato to fit all the tuna mixture. This means each serving includes 3 tuna-topped tomato slices instead of 2 bread slices; giving the illusion of eating more food. A little trick to keep your tummy happy while actually eating less.
And the nutritional breakdown...
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving/ 3 topped-tomato slices):
BEFORE: 786 calories; 51.2g fat; 43.85g carbohydrate; 37.97g protein; 1.75g fiber
AFTER:313.5 calories; 16.73g fat; 9.65g carbohydrate; 30.64g protein; 1.6g fiber
SAVES: 472.5 calories; 34.47g fat; 34.2g carbohydrate