- 9 WHOLE WHEAT lasagna sheets OR 1 medium egg plant**
- 1/2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 (8.5-ounce) tubs sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil;found in produce section)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bunches asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) container FAT FREE Ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups REDUCED FAT (2%) shredded mozzarella cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta or 2 to 3 minutes for fresh pasta. Drain pasta.
In a food processor combine the sun-dried tomatoes and basil. Pulse until the mixture is combined. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan. Set aside.
In a large skillet , add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, onion, and garlic and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add asparagus and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the ricotta, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a 9 by 13-inch baking dish sprinkle some of the sun-dried tomato mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish. Place some lasagna (or eggplant)sheets, then half asparagus mixture. Next sprinkle some mozzarella cheese and some of the remaining Parmesan. Continue for 1 more layer. Top with lasagna (or eggplant) sheets, some sun-dried tomato mixture, mozzarella, and Parmesan. Bake until the ingredients are warm and the cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.
Here is how the "Cookin' Lean Version" compares to the original:
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving/prepared using eggplant):
BEFORE: 528.75 calories; 30.61g fat; 40.33g carbohydrate; 30.28g protein; 9.78g fiber
AFTER: 239.5 calories; 7.2g fat; 26.34g carbohydrate; 25.25g protein; 9.68g fiber
SAVES: 289.25 calories; 23.4g fat; 13.99g carbohydrate
Want to add a little more nutrition to this meal? Have it with a nice glass of red wine! You can bet I did! ENJOY!