So here is our "Cookin' Lean" version of Reuben Mac N' Cheese. Or I should say, TURKEY Reuben Mac N' Cheese! ENJOY!
TURKEY REUBEN MAC N' CHEESE
- 1 pound WHOLE WHEAT corkscrew shaped pasta or other short cut pasta
- 8 WHOLE WHEAT crackers (about 2" diameter)
- 2 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- A handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons WHOLE WHEAT flour
- 2 cups SKIM milk
- 1/4 cup spicy brown deli mustard, such as Gulden's brand
- 1 cup shredded REDUCED-FAT Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup shredded KRAFT FAT FREE yellow cheddar cheese
- 3/4 pound good quality deli LEAN TURKEY, sliced as thick as bacon, chopped
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente.
While the pasta cooks, place crackers in a food processor. Add the parsley and paprika to the crackers and process into "breadcrumbs"; reserve. **Don't have a food processor? Just toss the crackers in a plastic zip-loc and crush. Pour into a bowl and mix paprika and finely chopped parsley.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat. Add the 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil to the pot and heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then add the milk. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, thicken for 5-6 minutes, then stir in the mustard. Melt two-thirds of the combined cheeses into the sauce.
Pre-heat the broiler.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving/based on 6 servings):
BEFORE: 794.17 calories; 35.03g fat; 72.21g carbohydrate; 44.79g protein; 5.18g fiber
AFTER: 593.5 calories; 14.51g fat; 75.9g carbohydrate; 41.9g protein; 9.65g fiber
SAVES: 200.67 calories & 20.52g fat ADDS: 4.47g fiber
**One thing to note about the servings is that they are HUGE! Rachael's recipe says "6", but this dish can EASILY serve 8. We had 5 adults and 1 child eating this last night with 2-3 more servings to spare. If the nutrition facts seem high, it is mostly because you are getting an entire plate full of pasta!