Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Livin' Lean Topic Tuesday: My Cakes Got Sauce

Starting around this time of the year, fall, is when I like to do the most baking. The smell of cinnamon and nutmeg, pumpkin and apple fill the house and completely put me into a state of bliss. I love it! Yankee candle was totally onto something when they put those same fragrances into a jar. Brilliant!

Back to today's topic...cakes with sauce.

Friday night, my friends Pam, Claire and I had a girl's night in. What did we do? Bake and drink wine, of course! On the menu were Giada's donuts and Paula's Pumpkin Bars (both recipes coming this week). The mission was to take these delicious, yet sinful treats and make them lean. I have great news. We did it!

As I was figuring the nutritional facts for the Pumpkin cake last night, I made a shocking discovery. The amount of vegetable oil in the original recipe was 1,927 calories & 218g of fat!! Now, yes, this is divided up into 24 servings. However, by subbing the exact amount of natural apple sauce (1 cup), we are now looking at 50 calories and 0g of fat...divided by 24. Amazing, right? You can save soooo much and the cake still tastes fantastic! Some would say, "even better"!

The lesson here is that when baking brownies or baking a cake, make sure your cakes got sauce!

Have a fabulous Tuesday!

Don't forget to stop by later this week for some healthy donuts with lemon glaze and Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Icing!! You might decide to have a night in with your friends for a little wine and baking. Cheers to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails