COCONUT CHICKEN CUTLETS
- 1 pound chicken cutlets, slightly pounded
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup WHOLE WHEAT flour
- 1/2 cup EGG BEATERS
- 1 cup SPECIAL K cereal, crushed
- 1 cup grated UNSWEETENED coconut
- 3/4 cup SUGAR FREE Apricot preserves
- 1 jalapeno; seeded and sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons FAT FREE/LOW-SODIUM chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- 2 scallions; whites and greens sliced
- FAT FREE olive oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 425˚F.
Arrange 3 shallow dishes( I like to use glass pie pans): Place about a cup of WHOLE WHEAT flour on first plate to dredge the chicken. Add EGG BEATERS with a splash of water in second dish. Combine the crushed SPECIAL K cereal and coconut in the third dish.
Season chicken with salt and pepper, then coat them in flour, then EGG BEATERS, then SPECIAL K-coconut mixture. Place on a prepared baking sheet that has been sprayed with FAT FREE olive oil cooking spray. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the outside is slightly browned.
And how does this dish stand up nutritionally?
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving):
BEFORE: 674 calories; 25.44g fat; 49.73g carbohydrate; 62.82g protein; 2.3g fiber
AFTER: 312 calories; 6.48g fat; 38.53g carbohydrate; 33.41g protein; 3.95g fiber
SAVES: 362 calories; 18.96g fat; 11.23g carbohydrate ADDS: 1.65g fiber
To sum it up, this is a great summer dish (or appetizer) to make. It's light, fruity and full of flavor. I really think you will love it! Try it on shrimp and fish too!