Image Map
Image Map

Friday, March 4, 2011

Kimber's Korner: Green Noodles & Ham

"I DO like Green Noodles & Ham.
I DO like them Kimber-I-Am!"


As you may have guessed, this dish was inspired by my love for Dr. Seuss. Since yesterday (March 2nd) was his birthday, my Mommy suggested that we try out this fun Rachael Ray recipe for Green Noodles & Ham. "Green Eggs & Ham" is one of my all-time, favorite books Mom and I read together. And now, Green Noodles & Ham is one of my favorite dishes we cook together.


"Just give 'em a try and you will see.
You just might like Green Noodles & Ham like me!"


GREEN NOODLES & HAM
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
  • 12 ounce box spinach fettuccini
  • 8 ounces Low-Sodium ham steak (lean)
  • 1 cup FAT FREE half-and-half
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • black pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan; plus a little more for a pinch on top
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray
DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of water to a boil then add a tiny pinch of salt, to season up the pasta as it cooks. Carefully add pasta to water and stir then cook to al dente or until pasta is tender but it still has a bite to it in the center –  or just do not cook it until it is mushy. (Takes about 4 minutes, but check package directions first.)



Cut ham into thin small cubes. Kids not so good with knives should sit this part out. Have the ham already cut up for them.

Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup half-and-half and warm it up a minute. Add about a 1/2 cup of cheese, 4 big handfuls or so, and stir constantly for another minute then season the sauce with nutmeg and pepper. Taste and add a little salt, if necessary.

Turn off heat under sauce and add the peas to it. Then add the ham. Next, drain the pasta (this is a grown-up job). Toss pasta with sauce in the skillet and use tongs to help you pull pasta through sauce until it is coated evenly.You can even add a little more cheese to each plated serving, if desired.

RESULTS
This may be a "Kimber's Korner" dish, but it is something the entire family will love! My parents cleared their plates. I think it is safe to say they liked it too! It would be tons of fun for you to read Dr. Seuss Green Eggs & Ham with your kids and then make this delicious, nutritious dinner together. We sure had a good time. I learned that even though the noodles may be green, they are just as yummy, if not yummier, than the regular ones. It's good to try different things. You may just realize you like them! My Mommy always tells me that part of being a healthy eater means eating a variety of foods; even when foods look different from what I'm used to, like these green spinach noodles. Well, I hope you like this dish---that goes for you "big kids" too!

** "Who's" lookin' for more Dr. Seuss fun? Head on over to Seussville, where there are tons of great activities to choose from including crafts & simple printable materials! It is a great resource for parents & teachers.


NUTRITION FACTS (per serving): 505.5 calories;  8.36g fat;  74.92g carbohydrate;  30.77g protein;  10.6g fiber

BEFORE: 806.75 calories;  44.4g fat;  72.66g carbohydrate;  32.33g protein;  10.58g fiber


~ Kimber

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails