Image Map
Image Map

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cooking Light with Ina Garten: Irish Soda Bread

Although St. Patrick's Day was a week ago, I couldn't wait a whole year to share this with you. This is something you are going to want to enjoy throughout the year, not just one day in March. Ina Garten's recipe for Irish Soda Bread totally inspired me to make a healthier, whole-wheat version. Her recipe has now become our very own NEW whole-wheat, butter-free, sugar-free Irish Soda Bread recipe! How does that sound? It's super healthy, super yummy and I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. I think you will be just as happy. Here you go!

IRISH SODA BREAD
Makes 1 loaf, 10 Servings

INGREDIENTS
  • 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 large mashed banana (needs to be soft; skin spotted brown)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1-3/4 cup FAT FREE buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup Egg Beaters (or egg substitute)
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.


Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using an electric, hand-held mixer). Add the mashed banana and apple sauce; mix on low speed until mixed into the flour.

With a fork, lightly beat the buttermilk, Egg Beaters, and orange zest together in a measuring cup. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Toss in the cranberries and mix into the dough. It will be very wet. (If using a hand-held mixer, the batter will begin to wrap around the mixers. Mix until this happens, then finish mixing using a spatula. That's what I had to do and it worked just fine. Still savin' for that fancy Kitchenaid Standing Mixer!)

Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf. Place the loaf on the prepared sheet pan and lightly cut an X into the top of the bread with a serrated knife. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester (or dinner knife) comes out clean. When you tap the loaf, it will have a hollow sound.

Cool on a baking rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

RESULTS

Not confident in your bread-makin' abilities? Those days are over! Can you believe how simple this recipe looks?!?! I promise, coming from someone that doesn't make bread from scratch EVER, it really is simple. Up until now, something like Irish Soda Bread would have been reserved for the baking professionals. But by taking a chance, I now know that I can do this! I'm not saying I am ready to open up a bakery or anything, but testing out this recipe has given me a big boost of cookin' confidence in the baking department. Let's take a look at how we did in the nutritional department. If you compared this recipe to Ina's original, you can see that we got rid of all the butter and sugar. Instead, we are using mashed banana and applesauce; acting like butter and providing just the right amount of sweetness. Yah!!


NUTRITIONAL FACTS (per serving): 238.7 calories;  1.32g fat;  51.09g carbohydrate;  8.23g protein; 5.29g fiber
BEFORE: 311.8 calories; 7.5g fat; 54.09g carbohydrate;  7.26g protein;  2.02g fiber
SAVES: 73.1 calories;  6.18g fat;  3g carbohydrate; + .97g protein;  + 3.27g fiber

What do you think?!? When I worked the numbers, I was so excited! Those small changes improved this recipe in every nutritional way. Now it's time for you to try it out and let me know what you think about the flavor.  Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful, Lindsay! Your recipes always do. ;) I've been inspired in the kitchen lately, so I'll have to try this out. My family will thank you. ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog ... Great to "see" you! Hoping to unveil my new project soon. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails