Image Map
Image Map

Monday, February 28, 2011

Paula Deen's Lean: Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

My husband has given this recipe the "Best Dessert I Ever Ate" award. He loved it! And I must say...it was delish! The recipe is huge, easily serving up to 20 people; which makes it the perfect dessert for large gatherings. Trust me. You are gonna want some people to help share this. Most of what I have done to Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle was to cut down on some of the gingerbread cake, omit some sugar and substitute non-fat dairy. Here's what I got!

PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD TRIFLE
Serves 20
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (14-oz.) package gingerbread mix; prepared using egg white
  • 2 (1-oz.) packages SUGAR FREE/FAT FREE vanilla instant pudding; prepared using FAT FREE milk
  • 2.5 cups canned pumpkin pie filling
  • 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon or cardamom
  • 1 (8-12 oz.) container FAT FREE whipped topping (recommend Cool Whip)
  • 1/4 cup crushed gingersnaps, optional
DIRECTIONS
Bake the gingerbread according to the package light directions (using egg white); cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding using fat free or 1% milk and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling and cinnamon or cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1/2 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining half of the gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.


RESULTS
Like I mentioned earlier, this was the best dessert my husband claims to have ever eaten. I might have to agree. It is definitely in the "top 5". If you love pumpkin pie, than you will LOVE this trifle. I will have no problems remembering this one for Thanksgiving next year...and any other fall festive event where I get the chance to bring a dessert. Here's what we saved, per serving:

BEFORE: 372.65 calories; 10.86g fat;  64.52g carbohydrate;  4.56g protein;  1.53g fiber
AFTER: 163.25 calories;  2.18g fat;  28.81g carbohydrate;  1.33g protein; 1.08g fiber
SAVES: 209.4 calories;  8.68g fat;  35.71g carbohydrate

Pretty sweet, right? A huge "THANK YOU" goes out to Nathalie & Tony for requesting this recipe makeover. Let me know what you think, guys! I hope you all enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails