Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Livin' Lean Topic Tuesday: Friend Infused Fitness

You have probably read things before about how exercising with friends can help you stay committed to an exercise regimen. I have heard it too. Yet, the idea behind  "exercise buddies" was never as clear to me as it was this past Saturday when I experienced it.


My sister, husband, daughter and I had all set out for an afternoon run/walk. I knew it was cold, but there was nothing that could have prepared me for the wind. Now, before I go on, I need to let you in on a little something about me. Cold and I do not get along. Being cold makes me miserable and I can't have fun because all that I can think about is being cold. Skiing is probably really fun, but it is also cold. Sorry, not gonna happen. So continuing on with the story, the wind that day made me extremely cold and unhappy. And running into the wind was not fun either.


Within 3 minutes I was already thinking about just turning around, going back to our warm n' cozy home and passing up on the run for the day. Had it just been Kimber and I, it would have happened this way. However, my husband and sister were focused and determined, while my mind was telling me to quit this nonsense and run for warmth! They motivated me to stick it out and finish. Glad they did, 'cause after about 10 minutes, I was working hard enough to not mind the cold anymore. See?!?  Working out with friends does really help us stick with our workouts!


I can now be certain of two things after this weekend. One, I am a sissy when it comes to the cold (kinda already knew that one) and two, if you know that sticking to a workout or fitness goal is tough for you...the buddy system will help to stay committed! Not only did exercising with "buddies" help motivate me toward physical well-being, but being around them boosted my emotional health as well. Thanks, guys!

Have a great Tuesday! Call up a friend and go get some exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails