Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Livin' Lean Topic Tuesday: Surprising My Body

Ok, with most things in life, it is easy to fall into a routine. This includes everything from Tuesday is "Taco Night" to the lunch you take to work. Routines work for us. They keep things simple and organized in this often times crazy and chaotic thing we call life. I get that. When you find what works, ya stick with it. But what about our workouts?

I admit to being the guilty party in creating my workout monotony. Every session pretty much resembles the last. Maybe there were a few extra speed intervals there on the treadmill? Or perhaps I was feeling saucy and added some ab work one day last month? Ok, so there is a little variation, yet not enough to make a difference. My body knows what is coming every time I step into my Nikes. There is no element of surprise. I give my body the same workout and in return, I get the same results. No change, progress or improvement; just the same ol' Lindsay. Hell, I don't even get sore muscles anymore! I am not challenging myself at all. I am currently residing in a fitness comfort zone; desperate for a move into a place that pushes my abilities and a creates a stronger me. So, here's the plan.

P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout Program - 13 DVDs, Nutrition Guide, Exercise PlannerLast year, my adorable husband Rudy (who understands my love of everything health, nutrition and fitness) purchased P90X for me. Yes, the program that you see on infomercials claiming to transform anyone into a strong, super "beachbody" in 90 days. It has been sitting in a box for a year and it is time to bust it out. I am going for it! Or as P90X says, "BRING IT!"

I started last night and let me tell ya, my body was surprised. Actually, maybe not surprised; more like blindsided. My upper-body is so sore and I LOVE it! I sound crazy, right? But it's a good kind of sore because I know that I have challenged myself and woken up those sleeping muscles. Did I fall on my face a couple times doing push-ups last night? Yes. Did I feel like I should be writing a book called, "Diary of a Whimpy Mom"? Yes. But this is the beginning of change. It was a wake-up call. I have been neglecting strength training for too long. Now I am motivated to take back my strength.

Strength training is important to the overall health of both men and women. Need a bit of convincing? Here is a list of benefits to weight training; found on www.mayoclinic.com:

*Develop strong bones. By stressing your bones, strength training increases bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.



*Control your weight. As you gain muscle, your body gains a bigger "engine" to burn calories more efficiently — which can result in weight loss. The more toned your muscles, the easier it is to control your weight.


*Reduce your risk of injury. Building muscle helps protect your joints from injury. It also contributes to better balance, which can help you maintain independence as you age.


*Boost your stamina. As you get stronger, you won't fatigue as easily.


*Manage chronic conditions. Strength training can reduce the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, including arthritis, back pain, depression, diabetes, obesity and osteoporosis.


*Sharpen your focus. Some research suggests that regular strength training helps improve attention for older adults

 
** For the full article on mayoclinic.com, click here.

Not only will this P90X program add a little spunk into my workouts, but it will also allow me to gain the multiple benefits to strength training. I am ready! Are you?

Anyone else tried this program? I would love to hear your take on it!

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay, I am so excited you are doing this. We have this program too and I really wonder if sticking with it works. I started out, but was way out of shape. Maybe you can offer some pointers for people who are out of shape and start this program once you get settled in yourself. Good Luck - Enjoy the Superman, Banana! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails