Image Map
Image Map

Friday, June 18, 2010

Paula Deen's Lean: Spring Vegetable Pizza

First, let me say this. If you are making a vegetable pizza, then you are already on the right track to a healthy meal. This particular veggie pizza recipe was taken from Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine (April 2010). This dish graced the front cover, along with Paula and her hubby Michael, and I just had to make it from day one. Since my friend Jen Peer (from the Real Women of Philadelphia) informed us all that yesterday was "National Eat Your Veggies Day", I felt it was the perfect time to test out this dish. Plus, my meat lovin' husband was out of town (see Cheese Quesadilla post).


Not only did I cut some fat and calories out of this dish, I also cut out some time; roughly an hour or so. Just because I don't get home until 6:15 on most evenings does not mean there isn't time for a delicious, healthy, home-made meal. Right? Of course! Here is my fit and fast version of Paula's already nutritious Spring Vegetable Pizza.


SPRING VEGETABLE PIZZA
Makes 1 Pizza (Serves 6)

INGREDIENTS:
1 package Pillsbury THIN CRUST pizza dough
1 yellow squash; thinly sliced
1 zucchini; thinly sliced
4 Roma tomatoes; sliced
1 sweet onion; sliced
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup KRAFT FAT FREE Italian Cheese blend ( or just Mozzarella)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper
Garlic
cooking spray


 DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sautee onion in EVOO and Italian seasoning over medium heat for about 10 minutes; until lightly browned.

Roll dough out on a sprayed cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes.

Spread cooked onions over the dough. Starting on the outside, line the dough with a ring of tomatoes. Follow with a ring of squash, then zucchini. Repeat until center of dough is covered (see picture).

Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder ( or to taste). Top with cheese.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden.

RESULTS:
This dish is just so fresh and delicious! I absolutely love it! It is so light and good for you that there is no reason to feel the least bit guilty about reachin' for another piece. I sure didn't feel bad about it! There is just enough seasoning and cheese to compliment the veggies, but not overpower them. Plus, by using the ready-made dough, I saved tons of time. Paula makes her own pizza crust and used the Italian seasoning in the dough. To maintain that flavor, just toss the seasoning in with the onions and nothing is lost.

I just know this is going to be one of those dishes that I make over and over again. What a great lunch or light dinner it makes. Especially in these warm weather months.

I hope you decide to give this recipe a try! Remember...eat those veggies!!

NUTRITION FACTS (per serving): 247.5 calories;  7.94g fat;  31.57g carbohydrate;  13.32g protein;  2.62g fiber


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails