Image Map
Image Map

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Paula Deen's Lean: Garlic Chicken with Creamy Tomato Pasta

PASTA, PASTA, PASTA! I love pasta! If only I could escape to a vacation in Italy. The pasta...the wine...oh my! I would be like a kid in a candy store. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon, so let's just bring Italy home to me.
I love this pasta dish because it includes fresh ingredients and takes little time to prepare. Let's face it, it's a bit challenging to cook up labor-intensive, gourmet dinner when there is a 2-year-old attached to your leg. The less time spent cookin', the more time I can spend playing with the little one. Instead of surrendering to the "just order in" voices in your head, check out this option.
This recipe comes from the "Stove-Top Success" section in Paula Deen's March/April 2010 issue of Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine (page 37). It is simple, fresh and delicious. In less than 30 minutes, you can have a healthy, well-balanced dinner the whole family will enjoy. Here's all it takes...

GARLIC CHICKEN WITH CREAMY TOMATO PASTA
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups uncooked WHOLE WHEAT rotini pasta
FAT FREE Olive Oil spray
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts; cut into bite-size pieces
1 shallot, sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup light cream
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well, set aside and keep warm.

Spray a large Dutch oven or large stovetop pan with Olive Oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken, shallot, bell pepper and garlic; saute for 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked completely. Add the crushed tomatoes, cream and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly stir in the pasta and spinach. Serve right away. If you want, add some shredded Parmesan cheese on top!



RESULTS:

It was a hit! If you and your family like pasta with tomato sauce, then this is a dish to try. This pasta dish has the familiar taste that we love, but it is full of vitamin rich spinach and protein packed chicken. Usually we have left overs, but with my "little" brother joining us for dinner (who may be younger but is a good six inches taller than me), there was nothin' left to pack away. I need to have him over for dinner more often!

I hope you decide to give this recipe a try. If you are a busy person, this is definitely a recipe to bookmark.

10 comments:

  1. I just have to say this is an awesome blog. I love PD and love all her butteriness, but honestly, my thighs can't take any more. This is great to be able to make her meals more figure friendly, keep up the great work! Have you heard from PD yet, I bet she'd get a kick out of this blog! anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from SITS...Paula is one of my faves too! Love the concept of your blog - I love finding other foodie blogs :) I have one too! Will be following - I'm always looking for great new recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUM! This sounds so good! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I too love cupcakes, although making decorated cakes is my first love I thought I'd try cupcakes this time :) I'm going to poke around and find some new recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by! Following your wonderful blog!

    Deanna
    http://www.moneysavingmomcanada.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh YUMMY!! I can SO do this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I am so hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I was stopping by from SITS, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous looking dish! My family would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this one, and it was delicious!! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails