Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Paula Deen's Lean: Beef and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Horseradish Mayonnaise

Grilled cheese is usually the go-to in my house when there is nothing else to eat. No matter how empty the fridge or pantry, you can be certain to find enough cheese and bread to grill up some kind of sandwich. Now, it is not necessarily a bad thing to be forced to "settle" for grilled cheese. Grilled cheese is one of my favorites! And what I like most about this classic is that it comes in so many varieties. Changing the bread, cheese or special sauce can create a totally new and unique grilled cheese eatin' experience.


This particular recipe is inspired by Paula Deen's Beef and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches from the January/February 2010 issue of Cooking with Paula Deen. As usual, just a few simple changes allow this heavy sandwich to be welcome on any light menu. See for yourself...


BEEF & GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES WITH HORSERADISH MAYONNAISE
Serves 4


INGREDIENTS:


1/2 cup Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise Dressing
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
8 slices whole grain bread (Such as Sara Lee Delightful 100% Whole Wheat)
16 slices 96% Fat Free Roast Beef (deli sliced)
4 slices Reduced-Fat Provolone Cheese
2 cups arugula
Fat Free cooking spray


On the Side:
1 can Campbell's Heatlhy Request Tomato Soup (optional)


DIRECTIONS:


Preheat griddle or non-stick skillet to medium-low heat.


In a small bowl, mix the mayo, mustard and horseradish. Spread the mixture evenly over one side of each piece of bread. Top half of the prepared bread slices evenly with arugula, roast beef and cheese. Top each with remaining bread slices, mayo side down.


Spray lightly with FAT FREE cooking spray. Place sandwiches, spray side down, on the heated skillet or griddle. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.


THE RESULTS:


So wonderful! The horseradish mayo really makes it! All the flavors work really well together, creating a very unique twist to the classic grilled cheese. Here's how I knew it was good. Even served along side a cup of tomato soup, I overcame the urge to dip. The thought of changing the taste of the sandwich was just too much. You really have to see, or taste, for yourself. Every bite tastes like you are breaking some rule or diet plan. Relax...you are only guilty of having a healthy, delicious, reduced-fat meal that tastes amazing. ENJOY!


NUTRITION FACTS (per serving):  217.5 calories;  5.93g fat;  21.43g carbohydrate;  17.08g protein;  6.6g fiber

11 comments:

  1. I love horseradish mayo. I just saw a recipe for horshradish gravy over at Nibble Me This that sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well is your blog too cute, or what! I love your take on light southern cooking. Love it! Southern and light? Perfect for this family! I will definitely be back to get some recipes!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mayo with horseradish has me-love it! A great sandwich for a weeknight meal or lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 've been visiting your blog for a short time now and I have to tell you I LOVE IT! Your take on Paula's extra heavy dishes turned back into smart & healthy versions has me swooning. I will be a regular visitor from now on as I am curious to see what you do to her butter and cream recipes to lighten those up a bit. Thanks for your wonderful conversions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mayo and horseradish sounds delicious! I love horseradish but never know how to use it in dishes.

    I loved your cupcake story, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delish! Thanks for stopping by my site. I'll be checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the mayo! It would be a good way to spunk up a grilled soy cheese sandwich! I'm going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy SITS Saturday! I love Paula Deen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job. I love horseradish mayo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a sandwich that they have at Panera Bread. It is so yummy and I would love to duplicate it. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails