I can only speak for myself, but after a day of eating and drinking freely AND not getting any exercise, I feel yucky. That sluggish feeling is not one I enjoy, especially at the beach. I want to feel healthy and full of energy. I want to feel as healthy on the inside as the wonderful sun has made me look on the outside. Therefore I focus on not diverting too far off the regular path of eating well and exercising while on vacation.
Here are some suggestions for a healthy beach trip.
TIPS FOR HEALTHY BEACHIN'
- Drink LOTS of Water: Always have a bottle with you. When you want to grab a diet soda, make yourself drink 8 ounces of water first.
- Get Moving in the Morning: Early morning walks/runs on the beach are the best! Get up and hit the sand. Just think, the sand will up the intensity of your workout ( you're gonna burn more calories)!
- Eat Lunch & Snack: Schedules are a little off at the beach. It's vaca...they should be. But forgetting to each something around lunch time could set you up for overindulging at dinner. Keep those lunches and snacks packed with lean proteins, fruits, veggies and whole grains.
- Grilled & Steamed: We like to eat out a lot at the beach. This could be very dangerous from a nutrition standpoint. Look for grilled & steamed items; being cautious of heavy creams and stuffed items.
- Lean Libations: Alcohol can really bring on the calories. Those fruity cocktails are very tempting. Treat yourself to a frozen-fruity treat at least once (I had a Melon Colada. Amazing!). But don't make it a regular thing. Stick to vodka tonics, light beer and wine. 100 calories a drink is better than 350!
- Beach Activities: Bring games to the beach. Paddle ball, a football to throw or bocce ball. These games are fun and will keep you on your feet.