Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Paula Deen's Lean: Blackened Tilapia Sandwich with Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise

Over the past year, I have really branched out from my comfort zone and tried new things. Even so, there is one branch I have not been brave enough to venture out on and that is the seafood branch. It doesn't help that I am allergic to most shellfish. That is a slight problem. But there is no excuse for not cooking fish, except for that it intimidates the heck out of me. I order it a lot when eating out, but when it comes to preparing it, I am always a little nervous. Well not anymore! Fish, such as the Tilapia in this dish, is so easy to cook. Plus, it is really affordable too. Since I never bought it before, I didn't realize it is actually cheaper than chicken. Bonus! Check out this simple and slim version of Paula Deen's Blackened Tilapia Sandwich with Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise.


BLACKENED TILAPIA SANDWICH WITH CILANTRO LIME MAYONNAISE
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 (10-ounce) tilapia fillets
4 WHOLE WHEAT buns
Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise, recipe follows
Store-bought mango salsa (2 tbsp per sandwich)


Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise:
1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise dressing
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice


DIRECTIONS:
Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill.


In a shallow dish, combine first 6 ingredients.


Pour EVOO into another shallow dish. Dip fish fillets in EVOO. Then coat with the spice mixture.


Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot. Cook prepared fish for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.


Spread Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise Dressing evenly over buns. Place blackened fish on bottom half of bun, top with mango salsa, and cover with top half of bun.


THE RESULTS:


This is such a light and easy dinner. The mango salsa is such a nice touch. I will definitely make this one again. It takes no time at all and really fills you up. And did I mention it was cheep?!?! A real budget-friendly dinner.


The EVOO is replacing the butter and providing the heart healthy fats that our bodies need. By using a whole wheat bun instead of a Kaiser (and not buttering and toasting it), you are saving over 150 calories alone! Other than that, there is no need to change anything else. Another fabulous dish inspired by Paula Deen!

NUTRITION FACTS (per serving):  504 calories;  14.9g fat;  32.4g carbohydrate;  63.2g protein;  5.9g fiber

1 comment:

  1. Hi April!
    I'm a fellow Real Women of Philadelphia girl and I just wanted to send you a big congrats for being a finalist this week. I think you are just the best and have really enjoyed your video's. Best of luck in Savannah and I'm still crossing my finger I might get to make it too.
    Again, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails