Image Map
Image Map

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Paula Deen's Lean: Crispy Rice "Candy Corn" Treats

I have been making Crispy Rice Treats since before I can remember. They may actually be the very first thing I learned how to make, involving a stove (PB&J doesn't count). I chose to make these fun treats, not only because Paula is featuring them as a fall festive specialty, but because my friends at MY GIRL PAULA are making them this month! Normally I stick really close to the original recipes; only replacing ingredients with their low-fat or low-cal version. However, my spin on this recipe is missing a main ingredient...the candy corn! See what I did to give the Crispy Rice Candy Corn Treats a nutritional punch!

CRISPY RICE "VERY BOO-BERRY" TREATS



INGREDIENTS:

3 tablespoons of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
4 cups marshmallows
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 cups puffed organic whole grain rice
1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup dried fruit (Recommend: Welch's Berry Medley-blueberries, cranberries, cherries & golden raisins)


DIRECTIONS:


Spray a 13x9 glass baking dish and rubber spatula with baking spray.

In a medium sized sauce pan over low heat, add butter to melt. Once melted, add marshmallows, salt and honey. Stir continuously until the marshmallows have reached a smooth consistency. Remove from heat and fold in cereal and dried fruit until completely coated.




Add the mixture to the greased baking dish and smooth out evenly. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.

THE OUTCOME:

These treats turned out great! Even though I left out the festive candy corn, the colors of the dried fruit are very "fall-like" and still suit the season perfectly. Plus, instead of just adding pure sugar to the treat, now you can feel good about getting a serving of fruit instead. Plus, almonds are so good for you and add to the overall nutrition in this recipe. I feel like this is now a childhood treat that you can feel good about eating. ENJOY!!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to add the fruit to these! I love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! My son's b-day was this past weekend so I already had cake in the house. Didn't get to make them. I love how you made it healthy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails