My first attempt at a southern inspired dessert recipe was nothing less than "sweet success." Paula Deen's Better Than Sex? Yes! Cake is another great treat taken from the Lady and Son's Cookbook. With my easy modifications to this once sinful sweet-treat, you can now truly "have your cake and eat it too."
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 small can of sweetened condensed milk (Fat Free)
1 jar of caramel topping
4-6 fun size candy bars (Twix were delicious!)
1 container of Fat Free Cool Whip
Optional: Vanilla Frozen Yogurt or Edy's Slow Churned Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Prepare the cake according to the box directions, but you will need to make the following substitutions to make it lower in fat.
* Use 4 egg whites in place of 3 whole eggs
* Substitute apple sauce for oil; use the same measurement
- Once the cake has baked, poke it with tooth picks all over the surface. Make sure the tooth pick reaches through to the bottom or very close to it. You want the milk and caramel to be able to soak throughout the cake.
- Poor the milk completely over the cake, then the caramel.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Top the cake piece with a scoop of Cool Whip, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
-Sprinkle with crushed candy bar.