Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Livin' Lean Topic Tuesday: Phrasing Your New Year's Resolutions

I consider myself to be a "glass half full" kind of person. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments of negativity, but those just leave me feeling terrible. Who likes feelin' like that? Not me! So when I feel a little negativity creepin' in...I just tell myself to "knock it off" and I start lookin' at things from a happier perspective. A new look at things brings on a better attitude. A better attitude means better progress and performance. It's this need I have to put a positive spin on everything that has formed my take on New Year's Resolutions.


I like the idea of New Year's Resolutions. It's a new year. It's a great time to change what you don't like about things in your life; your job, your diet, your attitude, whatever. I get it. But what I don't like is how we sometimes tend to focus on stopping the negative instead of introducing the positive. Sometimes just looking at the present and not focusing on the past can be an incredible motivator and allow you to really make the change you want to make. Here's what I mean...


The not so positive perspective would have you thinking, " I drink way too many sodas during the day. I need to quit that. No more sodas for me." However, the new, supportive, positive self would look at the same issue and say, "I am going to drink more water. I will make an effort to drink water throughout the day." See the difference? They both achieve the same goal of not drinking soda, yet one focuses less on what you are giving up. The focus is on introducing more water to your day. The simple act of  how we phrase goals or the lens we choose to view our resolutions through can have a big impact in our ability to change.

When it comes to sticking to your resolutions, YOU are the only one in control. YOU are your  biggest cheerleader. Phrase those resolutions in a positive way. Think about what you ARE going to do and less of what you ARE NOT. Keep it positive!

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails