Image Map
Image Map

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lean Deen: Mexican Chicken


As I was hoppin' around Paula Deen's recipe page at pauladeen.com,  I found a link labeled Kid Friendly, which holds tons of recipes that children can both enjoy eating and help you make. On this night, Mexican Chicken looked like the perfect choice. Because my daughter is only one, this was something I had to tackle on my own. But since it is intended for kids, it was that much easier. Most importantly, it looked and sounded delicious!


Sooooo... I reviewed the recipe, made some adjustments, added a few things and there we have it! A healthy, hearty, kid and adult friendly meal.

MEXICAN CHICKEN
Serves 8

INGREDIENTS:
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes
1 cups leftover cooked chicken
1 (11 1/2-ounce) package WHOLE WHEAT flour tortillas
2 cups shredded 2% Mexican cheese
1 large green pepper; sliced
1 large red pepper; sliced
1/2 small onion; sliced



Optional (for serving):


* Fat Free Sour Cream
* Chopped Scallions
* Salsa



DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by-9-inch pan with the cooking spray.

In a pan, saute the sliced onions and peppers; set aside.



In a large bowl, stir together the 3 kinds of soup and the tomatoes. Stir in the chicken.


Layer the tortillas and the chicken mixture in the pan, beginning and ending with tortillas. Also layer the peppers and onions with the chicken mixture, between the tortillas. Sprinkle the cheese over the casserole and bake for 30 minutes


RESULTS:
We thought that this dish was AWESOME!! Because my bake ware collection is lacking in some
areas, I used two smaller dishes.



This actually allowed me to make one with tomatoes and one without! Using two smaller dishes only required me to use 8 tortillas, as opposed to 10-11 (less calories!). One more thing that I did was to sprinkle chili powder on the chicken before baking it; adding a bit more flavor to the dish. As you can see in the picture, I served eat piece with a topping of salsa, sour cream and chopped scallions.


Try it out and let me know what you think of this leaner Mexican Chicken dish! ENJOY!

NUTRITION FACTS (per serving): 401 calories;  10.88g fat;  38.28g carbohydrate;  24.47g protein;  4.3g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails